Wednesday, October 24, 2007

About Seven Lifetimes



Q: You know what I like about getting old?

A: Thus far, it still beats the alternative.

About a year ago, a good friend relayed his experience about turning...a certain landmark age. (That's as specific as I'm gonna get.) Suffice it to say I was "celebrating" a landmark year. He's a couple years ahead of me - so he'd already crossed that friggin moat.


He said that within a few weeks of hitting that age, three things happened to him:

1) His back went out on him and he was sprawled out for a week - unable to move, like he was in some sort of invisible traction.

2) He underwent his first root canal.

3) The optometrist told him he needed bifocals.

Oh yeah...did I say "three" things? There was a fourth: a doctor deflowered him with a long, greasy, inquiring finger.

I laughed my arse off at the time...then spent the next few weeks worrying about the karmic repercussions of my belly-busting guffaw. And then I forgot all about it.

Funny thing about karma: it doesn't care about time...it could be instantaneous (I guess that's "instant karma") or 218 lifetimes from now. Infinity is all-encompassing and is therefore outside the realm of time and space (I think). In this instance, karma caught up with me about 10 months later.

Last week, to be exact.

I'm about 2 months shy of one year past the aforementioned landmark. And last week, without any (known) singular catastrophic precipitating event, my back freaked-out (as the docs these days like to refer to it). This provided me and Sweetness (run, Lola, run!) a glimpse of the glorious future. I was a whining, creaking, groaning, bent old man for several days. In case you've never experienced debilitating back pain, let me explain something about anatomy: the back is connected to everything. I drive a manual 5-speed and I couldn't shift that sucker without a great deal of pain racing through my whole body. For fuck's sake, just sucking in a deep breath hurt like hell.

The doc kinda fixed me up: even though I am nowhere near 100%, I am at least not in constant pain.

A co-worker, empathizing with me in his own odd way, said something at the proverbial water cooler that stuck with me. "It's such a relief to know that we are gonna die!" he said. Dude is still in his mid-twenties.

So on the one hand, death probably seems far off and fantastical to him. But on the other, how can you be that young and already have experienced enough life to think that death is the existential Tylenol for this angst-riddled veil of tears? Death as something to look forward to? And it's not like he's a Mormon or anything - with his own universe to look forward to lording over. He's not religous and doesn't believe in any kind of afterlife. He has a great job, a great wife and is as healthy as a California wildfire. No addictions...no major demons. None of that torturous crap. It was odd. Yet awfully prescient and wise, too.

Given the current limitations of science and the human body, I have no doubt that at some point in the next four or five decades, I will feel the same way.

But if we were able to age only, say, 15 current years for every 100, I think I could probably hang around in this incarnation - on this wonderfully strange and occasionally infuriating blue water sphere - for five or six hundred years before I got tired of it. Hell, I could live in different countries and continents, move every 20 or 30 years and start a whole new career each time. Sign me up for that gig! I dig life - even with the aches and pains (physical and otherwise) - a heckuva lot more often than not.

The only stickler to living that long is the whole monogomy/marriage thing. How would that work? (Sweetness?) We love each other as much as any couple, I believe - and we have a pretty darn healthy relationship that encourages each of us to live and be our best...but four or five centuries? I doubt she'd put up with me for that long.

But if everyone lived to be 500 or 600 years old, maybe you'd only be able to get marriage licenses in like, 25-year increments: 25, 50, 75 or 100 year marriage licenses...with an option to renew, of course.

Whatever. Even if I haven't worked out all the kinks to living for half a millenia, I'd still take the deal. And really, if Sweetness were part of the deal, I'd take that in a heartbeat! (With asterisks, fine print, and parenthetical options, of course.)




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

And you may find yourself living in a beautiful house with a beautiful [mortgage partner] And you may ask yourself--Well...how did I get here?

Same as it ever was...

I guess I could go for monogamy on a 50-year plan. I'm too old to try to find someone new in 25, and anything beyond 50 seems unfathomable. Won't cars be driving themselves by then?

(I can only imagine what lengths of hygienic maintenance we'd reach after a few centuries together, my dearest CM. This picking at each other like chimps would seem urbane in comparison.)

A String of the Big Cheese said...

I sometimes sit up in bed, and yell out, I don't want to die! What is that all about?

Death is a weird topic that most people like to circumvent. Thanks for tackling it with a vengence!

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei seu blog pelo google está bem interessante gostei desse post. Gostaria de falar sobre o CresceNet. O CresceNet é um provedor de internet discada que remunera seus usuários pelo tempo conectado. Exatamente isso que você leu, estão pagando para você conectar. O provedor paga 20 centavos por hora de conexão discada com ligação local para mais de 2100 cidades do Brasil. O CresceNet tem um acelerador de conexão, que deixa sua conexão até 10 vezes mais rápida. Quem utiliza banda larga pode lucrar também, basta se cadastrar no CresceNet e quando for dormir conectar por discada, é possível pagar a ADSL só com o dinheiro da discada. Nos horários de minuto único o gasto com telefone é mínimo e a remuneração do CresceNet generosa. Se você quiser linkar o Cresce.Net(www.provedorcrescenet.com) no seu blog eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. (If he will be possible add the CresceNet(www.provedorcrescenet.com) in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).

Hanky Ann said...

Maybe it's just that life seems DAMN long when you're young. And perhaps youth haven't learned how to avoid a lot of unnecessary pain... therefore i can relate to the boy, not because it's horrible and unbearable, but because from a young perspective it seems longer... it's GOT TO end eventually. HA

Blondie said...

I'm only 30 but the minute I hit 23, my back went out. At 28, I had 3 root canals. At 29, I had a tooth REMOVED. Now I'm toothless kinda. It's all going to go downhill from here for me. I can tell. Good luck to you!

EHoward said...

I once heard someone say: from the minute you are born you start dying. I quite liked the idea that even babies bodies are constantly battling the breakdown.

What I DO love the marvel about is SKIN! Look at it.. it is an amzing membrane that holds us all together, and that heals itself when it is cut open. No sci-fi creator could come up with something better! I use lotion because of it! How cool is it to be completely held together by something so fragile and so amazing all at once?

If you are feeling stressed about death and aches and pains, read about this guy's death, which happened on Saturday. http://www.connpost.com/localnews/ci_7325199