Wednesday, October 17, 2007

The Secret to Long Weekends


Ususally, if you are anything like me, Monday morning rolls around and you are thinking, "WTF happened? Didn't I just leave work?" (Don't get me wrong: I actually don't dread heading to work...I dig the people I work with and I love what I do for a living...nonetheless, I am a huge fan of "free time.")

Well, I inadvertantly discovered how to make the weekend last forever.

A typical weekend consists of time outdoors doing yardwork, playing some sort of exercise/sport (also outdoors), a movie (at least 2 a month), dinner with friends (also at least twice a month), and (this time of year) vegging out in front of the tube for at least 3 hours of some baseball or football. This doesn't take into account the time spent doing laundry, giving the animals and Sweetness the time they deserve, or any of the other joys of homo-ner-ship or family obligations that inevitably crop up.

But a recent weekend was a little different. Sweetness left me in charge of the homefront while she spent a joyful weekend moving her mother from one house to the one next door. Aside from watching a ballgame with Dr. DoLittle on Friday night, the only time I left the house was for about 45 minutes to the grocery store.

By the time Monday rolled around, I'd felt like I'd had four or five days off.

Now, normally, I don't recommend doing nothing. It ain't easy. It's not for wussies. Amateurs should never try it at home without supervision. It's just flat-out hard work being lazy.

But it sure does make for a nice, loooooooooooooooooooooong weekend.








2 comments:

JeanGenie said...

This is in direct contrast to 1) what I was doing that weekend and 2) what I did when CM went out of town (clean the house and buy a treadmill).

I think CM also neglected to mention that was the weekend that started the tweaking of the back (he played golf among other things), and now every weekend is a long weekend. :)

In all fairness, my huge head caused my neck to hurt this last weekend and so I wasn't overly motivated to do much myself.

EHoward said...

The problem with laziness, for me, is that I tend to injury myself. Yes, I also tend to injure myself taking laundry to the basement, sneezing, walking to the back door and tying a shoe, so maybe I am not a good sample.

But the year I was really lazy was the year I blew out my hip (oy! old age!) and discovered the only road to recovery was (GASP!) exercise.

See... now loook what you made me do. So I advocate laziness only in moderation!