Friday, November 23, 2007

Outside the Box


A great friend of mine lives his life in a truly authentic fashion - perceiving the world through his own set of whacky lenses.

He was rambling last night about a hole in the roof of his '89 Honda...a hole that he spoke about repairing two years ago...a hole I just assumed he'd fixed some time over the course of the past 730 days or so.

I was wrong.

The thing leaked on him again yesterday and his solution to having a puddle form in the floorboard of his car was a unique one.

Most of us would stop a leaking roof by fixing the hole in the roof.

Not this guy.

"I don't mind getting dripped on," he admits. "But I have to wear these damned goofy-looking shoes with the holes in them." He lifts up one foot for all of us to see. He is wearing Crocs. "I have to wear these stupid fucking things because they're the only shoes that don't aggravate my bunions. And the hole in the roof of the car sits just above and in front of my nose. So the water drips down on my feet and gets 'em wet. I can't be walking around in this cold weather with wet feet. So I just drilled a hole in the floor of the car where that water hits. Worked perfectly. It's keeping my feet dry."

He solved the leak by drilling another hole.

Crazy old dude is one of my mentors. Maybe some day I can think like that.
Friggin' genius.