Monday, August 27, 2007

The Crippling Curveball

Doing the radio thing on the way to work, I heard a local (retired) sports star speaking about a charity event. (Sadly, they first had to discuss the fact that he was chosen as one of about 6 people in the city to be invited to breakfast with the Lost-Texas-Village-Idiot in-Chief, who happened to be in town this week. Sports Star actually said he thought The Idiot was a good man - which, I guess, MIGHT be true, and that he was doing a good job as Idiot-in-Chief, which is irrefutably NOT true.) But I digress...

By continuing to listen, I was able to hear a far better message, despite this proselytizing propogandic bullshit...

The charity he was pimping was founded by a woman and her husband several years ago. It raises money for research into spinal cord injuries. The reason they were into it just blew me away: The woman (who wasn't an old lady) went to sit in a hammock on a fine autumn day. Said hammock was about 2 feet off the ground. The hammock (as hammocks are wont to do) slid around on her and she fell to the ground - and broke her friggin back. She has been paralyzed ever since.

I'd like to say that in the ensuing days, I haven't felt a moment of self-pity - that I have been fully appreciative and grateful for all that I have. And for all that hasn't happened to me. But that, too, would be proselytizing propogandic bullshit. And I don't want to contribute to the huge gaping hole of ozone in the Sky of Truth. So I will just be honest: there have been many moments since I heard that woman's story when - after realizing I'd fallen into my shallow toilet bowl of how I'd like things to be different than they are - I was pulled back into reality...the reality that I have absolutely nothing to bitch about.

Life isn't fair. And for that ( so far) I am grateful.
Oh...yeah...I had to give a little something to the charity, too, because it always makes me feel a bit sleazy when I feel better about my life after hearing of another's misfortune. But her story certainly has given me some perspective.
If you see me, ask if I'm still grateful that life ain't fair - because you never know - life might just throw me one of those crippling curveballs between now and then.

1 comment:

EHoward said...

I had the nicest image of you falling into the shallow toilet bowl.

At first I thought you actually did.

Then, I realized that you didn't, that is was a metaphor. But it was too late. I had already pictured you falling in toilet bowl and howling over a wet bottom.

"Abbiamo vinto" is what the little boy calls out at the end of "Life is beautiful. He is in the tank and he sees his mother walking wearily on the road. He cried out:

"Abbiamo Vinto!!" We won!

Not "Ho vinto!' -- I won! but "Abbiamo vinto!" -- WE won. Dad and I won.

Life is beautiful.