Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Is Bigfoot a Vegetarian?



I sure as hell hope so!

Me and Mortgage Partner are gearing up for the Big Day...and hence, the Big Week to follow. Our post-ceremonial vacation (what is commonly referred to as "the honeymoon") should be spectacular.

We head to the great Northwest the day after the Big Gig...to northern California and southern Oregon. For three of our seven days, we will be immersed in the heart of Bigfoot country. Though (like the god-thing) I do not consider myself a believer, neither am I so closed-minded as to be a staunchly rabid sceptic (from the greek: skeptomai, to look about, to consider).

An ancient myth dating back at least 400 years in North America (the term sasquatch is a Native American word for "hairy giant"), no hard evidence (bones, skulls, genetically distinct hair) supporting their existence has ever been discovered. It doesn't help the believer's cause that A) two hoax films have been uncovered, B) a corpse known as "The Minnesota Iceman" raised more questions than it answered (it's a great story, involving J. Edgar Hoover, The Smithsonian Institute, a carnival owner and an eccentric millionaire), C) people have been caught creating false prints with special boots that have large wooden feet on the bottom, or that D) a company even mass-produced strap-on feet so that you could prank friends and family.

I think the best story I've run across yet is that of Albert Ostman, a Canadian lumberjack. It was 1924. Albert was prospecting for gold when he claims to have been captured by a family of Bigfoots. The held him hostage for a week before he finally escaped. He didn't tell anyone about the incident until 1957 because - get this - he didn't want people to think he was crazy! My favorite part of Albert's tale is that the Yetis are apparently a progressive bunch, shunning traditional roles: Father and Daughter guarded him while Son and Mom prepared the meals. (Or maybe the boy was just a good cook and the daughter was a great softball player :).

Okay...maybe that's NOT the best story about Bigfoot...maybe THIS one is: Mortgage Partner agreed to marry me because she found out my college nickname was "Bigfoot" for a reason!

5 comments:

JeanGenie said...

I thought your nickname was Big Tooth...hmm, I really don't see the connection between you and big feet at all. Of course, as long as you persist in calling me "flotilla head," I can't exactly pay you a compliment like that now, can I?

The one connection I do see is that you yetis are all hairy.

Anonymous said...

Man, when I stand corrected, I stand and correct it! You are a blogger! With a real blog. And a multitude of posts. What is a Yetis? LT

cranial midget said...

"Yeti" is the Tibetan word for "magical creature." It is the Himalayan version of Bigfoot...also known as the "Abomidable Snowman."

Your own personal google,
CM

cranial midget said...

Good call Jeangenie...just perpetuating the "tall tales" here...

:)

CM

Doc Kokopelli said...

Wow! A jeangenie slam. You go girl!

I've seen your little tiny feet, the rest I don't really want to know about.

How about a review of the post-ceremony vacation? You post it and I promise I'll make another post, too. Not that I think I'll ever achieve LT's "BLOGGER" status, but I'll take it one post at a time.